Bluefield State warmly welcomes international students to join its community.
Bluefield State College has been privileged to have international students from all over the world. Past and current students have come from or are from Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Gambia, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, The Bahamas, Belgium, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Macedonia, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Ukraine, Venezuela, Serbia, Brazil, Italy, Canada, Germany, Jamaica, Uzbekistan, Yemen, Argentina, Colombia, Guatemala, Uruguay, Liberia, Poland, Sweden, Nepal, Vietnam, and India.
We accept both first-time international freshman and those who have already taken courses at another institution.
In order to apply as an international student, you will need to follow the below steps. For help along the way, please call Bluefield State’s Office of Admissions at 304-327-4066 (using the country code +1) or email InternationalAdmit@bluefieldstate.edu.
Requirements to Apply
- Complete a general application online
- Submit the following materials to the Bluefield State Office of International Admissions:
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts of all previous coursework within or outside the U.S.
Note: If you need to have your international transfer credits evaluated, we highly recommend you use a third party and have them send their review documents to Bluefield State College. You might consider using Education Evaluators International or World Educational Services.
- A Financial Verification Form, indicating that you have the necessary amount of $27,000/year in American currency available for your education
- An enrollment recommendation by an instructor, coach or employer
- If applying from a non-English-speaking country: proof of successful completion of an ESL program or one of the following: a PTE academic score of 50 or better or a TOEFL score of 500 or better or internet TOEFL score of 64 or better or an IEL test band score of 6.0 or better. International Students who do not have passing English scores may apply for possible acceptance into the English for International Students Program of the Office of International Initiatives.
- A copy of your visa
- If currently in the U.S.: a copy of your current I-20
Upon acceptance, you will also need to submit an Immigration Transfer Form, and arrange Compass Testing for placement in English and Math classes prior to course registration.
Forms may be sent to:
Bluefield State College
Office of International Admissions
Conley Hall, Room 102
219 Rock Street
Bluefield, WV 24701
June 1 for fall semester (beginning in August)
November 1 for spring semester (beginning in January)
Applications must be completed by one month after these dates.
Housing, Expenses & Arrival
As you make plans to study at Bluefield State, please keep the following considerations in mind.
You will be responsible for making your own housing arrangements, and Bluefield State does not currently offer on-campus housing. You might consider living off-campus in the town of Bluefield (a list of recommended options is available)
Students and their families should be prepared to spend an estimated $27,000 annually, which covers tuition, living expenses and other related fees such as books. Financial aid is generally not available for international students.
Arriving in West Virginia
All international students are required to be at Bluefield State the Monday before classes begin for testing, orientation and registration. Please arrange your travel plans accordingly.